NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, May 27, 2019

FEAR OF WATER INSIRATION!!! AND METAL COFFEE BELIEVES

Fear Of Water

Rock, Melodic Hard Rock

Austin / Milwaukee


*INTERVIEW CREDITED TO https://nemesesengine.tumblr.com/post/183365335281/fear-of-water


So what got you into music and how long have you been doing it for?

I had extensive bouts of sickness and infection from birth which caused long term damage on my hearing and other aspects of my health. Several surgeries, a dozen medications and years of speech therapy helped me finally get back to somewhat normal but from a development standpoint, I was years behind kids my age. I struggled greatly with all my academics, any form of memorization and even a large amount of motor skill related tasks. I have always gravitated towards music, even when I was clinically deaf due to my illness as a child. My family has VHS tapes of baby Dave sitting next to giant speakers because I could feel the vibrations of Genesis, The Stones and Springsteen. Once I regained my hearing, I would OBSESSIVELY listen to any and everything, actually gravitating towards jazz early on. That being said, I had zero musical abilities or talent.

I tried out for band in 4th grade, I wanted to play sax so damn bad. In my mind, that instrument was the epitome of cool. My try out on a plastic recorder was beyond horrible, so the band director relegated me to the percussion section. It quickly became clear that drums were for the rejects that wanted to be in band but couldn’t hang with the other performers.

At first I was biter but I quickly discovered Nirvana, Metallica and NIN. I quickly understood that rock doesn’t live without drums and I became dedicated to embracing this instrument. I struggled for two years, had absolutely zero ambidexterity. I felt like a marionette and I couldn’t clip the strings. I tried and tried to no avail.

Then in the spring of 1996, I very vividly remember listening to Load by Metallica, specifically Ain’t my Bitch. I was listening to the song over and over, air drumming on my lap during a multi-hour car ride when I felt a very distinct “pop” in my head. All the sudden I felt like the strings were finally clipped and I finally achieved ambidexterity. Over the next year, everything fell in to place: my academic drastically improved, my memory came back out of nowhere and I became obsessed with drums. From that point on, I knew that music was going to be an integral part of my life so I dedicated the vast majority of my free time to learning as many instruments and music as possible. 24 years later I’m still going.

What was the first song you ever learnt?

Ohhhh….good question. On drums it was In Bloom by Nirvana. That intro/hook drum fill was my absolute favorite. On guitar, probably anything/everything on SMASH by Offspring.

Most people spend the better part of their years learning one instrument, but you’re pretty much a one-man-band. What was the driving force behind learning more than one trade?

Going back to my first answer, I came to the understanding that I had unlocked this skill set and I needed to explore it as much as I can. I’m still learning new things every year. My mom’s side of the family has been incredibly musical for several generations so I’m starting with a good tool kit.

(Embedded below is Dave’s kickass cover to Sevendust’s 'Bonfire’)

What’s your go-to song when you pick up the guitar or sit behind the kit?

Drums: March of the Pigs by NIN. It was the first “complex” beat I ever learned. The idea of playing in 5/4 initially blew my mind but once I got it, I couldn’t stop.

Guitar: Sad but True by Metallica. It will forever be the ultimate metal song to me.

Your biggest inspiration?

A three way tie between Trent Reznor, Dave Grohl and Clint Lowery. They are all multi-instrumentalists that are great people who have maintained a strong career through changing genres and tough times (addiction, loss, legal battles, etc.)

What’s your fondest musical memory?

That “pop” in 1996 was pretty damn magical. In recent history, it was playing to a sold out crowd opening up for Pop Evil last year in Wisconsin. The crowd energy was electric and that feeling is addictive!

As a casual bedroom guitarist myself, I feel like very often we reach plateaus and don’t even realize it - After doing music for so long, how do you think one can assess their skills?

I think it’s important to always be trying new things, especially if you’re uncomfortable with it: new styles, new tubings, new instruments, writing original when you’ve only done covers. If you’re really struggling, then that’s a benchmark for that moment but now you have a goal, set your sights and push through.

Are you happy with where the rock scene is currently at? How do you think we can make it better?

Yes and no. The music industry as a whole will never be the same with the advent of streaming and stealing music. It has made an already unlikely career a near impossibility for most. That being said, newer tools allow for more casual musicians to get their music in front of people they never could have otherwise. Specifically Rock: it’s still a live in several different genres. I know my generation will keep it alive as long as we can.

If you were stuck on an island indefinitely, what one album would you take with you?

Assuming I have a device on which I can play said album? 😊 The Colour and the Shape by Foo Fighters. It’s a masterpiece.

Who’s one lesser known musician you think people should know about?

Danny Schmitz (from Milwaukee, lives in NYC). He has a killer band, Lost in a Name, and is also a stellar solo artist & producer. The man can shred and we’ve collaborated on a few songs that you can hear at www.facebook.com/TheFearOfWater

And what does the future hold for Dave Perry? Any closing words?

A metric shit ton of music! You will be able to find four albums of Fear of Water music on all major steaming and download sites over the next couple of months. I also have several new videos that I’ll be publishing on YouTube and Facebook this winter as well. 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Used to be clinically deaf, now I'm making as much music as humanly possible. One man band in Austin, TX. Music available now on all major streaming sites.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFearOfWater/

instagram.com/FearOfWater

https://music.apple.com/us/artist/fear-of-water/1454127984

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4M7rqBQtjHDNbRkcUeUXLF?si=5wvFflPJS12YSkKeDpoUpg 


 This is high impact for radio / press now!! request for interviews can be set up by emailing metalcoffefpr@gmail.com as well as request for music or any other info you need.





No comments:

Post a Comment