NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

VOLKILLS Interview : Scarlett Dark from Lipshok



















VOLKILLS Interview

with Scarlett Dark from Lipshok

www.lipshok.com


  1. Please introduce yourself and tell us who you sing for:
-- Hello there. I’m Scarlett Dark and I sing for Lipshok, a San Francisco Bay Area original gothic rock/symphonic metal act. I also play keyboards and write all the songs. As well as do all the multiple harmonies/back ups on all the music, which is big in the Lipshok repertoire.

  1. What/who made you sing?
--- I don’t know if anyone or anything made me sing. It was just something I did from very young childhood. I have always loved performing and singing. I am compelled to keep doing it and I have no choice.

  1. Who was the first singer you saw live that gave you chills?
--- Sarah Brightman. Jackie Evancho.

  1. Many people say heavy music is just screaming. How would you combat that statement?
--- Well, there certainly seems to be a lot of screaming, but I don’t think that’s all it is. The raw power and emotion that comes from that is fantastic. Although certainly there are different techniques to it. I actually like the combination of the harsh vocals with the melodic vocals. Too much of the screaming though to me gets boring. I like the drama and technique of different kinds of singing. Loud, quiet, harsh, passionate, melodic, etc.

  1. If you growl or do harsh vocals, how do you keep you voice after such violent performances?
--- I don’t do harsh vocals, although I have tried. I was in a thrash metal band for a while but my technique I’m sure was incorrect as it was tough on the old vocal chords. Especially if you’re switching it up. (i.e. some harsh stuff and then into melody)

  




  1. Do you have a warm up routine? Tell about it.
---Actually I do. On the day of a show, (or studio work for that matter), I don’t eat or drink any milk products and try to minimize talking as much as possible. I do light singing on my way to a show or during the day to warm up slowly, and then I try to pace myself during a show as well. Recording studio work is a lot harder though. Especially since I double track everything and do 2 – 4 parts of harmonies, backups, etc.

  1. Do you think power or performance is more important?
--- I think both are important. And I think it depends on the music/song at the time. Some of my songs start with emotional soft singing and that is harder to do than power and takes a lot more diaphragm control. Controlling the intensity is super important especially if you want to convey the emotion of the song. Dynamics are key to my songs and I don’t think they’re used enough in my opinion.

  1. Who do you think gets unfair vocal praise, someone the world thinks is great but is not? And who is great but does not get the credit?
--- Anyone who can make a living in this field has my respect. I think there are a lot of singers who suck and a lot of singers who don’t get the praise they deserve. And that’s on all levels. Is it just a matter of taste or opinion? Probably.

  1. Name your top 5 vocalists:
--- Tarja Turunen, Amy Lee, Sharon den Adel, Cristina Scabbia, Barbra Streisand, and I have to add Bette Midler and Ann Wilson.

  1. Michael Buble or Jim Gallette? Just testing your skills here.
--- I don’t know who Jim Gallette is, but I like Michael Buble. Super smooth and rich voice.

  1. Who do you love to listen to that would surprise people?
--- I don’t think anyone would be surprised by my favorite artists. But I admit, my ego is huge and I like to listen to myself the most.

  1. If you could remove autotune from any singer, who would it be? --- Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment