NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, December 30, 2019

THE DEEP END Ignescent Bassist Interview








1.Why Bass? 
I first started playing acoustic guitar and switched to electric guitar. But there were times where it was hard to find a bass player at the time. So I decided to pick up a bass guitar and absolutely fell in love with it. Playing the bass is not just “playing the same thing that the guitarist is playing”, it is also moving around and playing different bass licks that can match the rhythm and give the song an extra beat with the drums

 


2.Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?

Before, Absolutely. But in today’s music world, people are starting to understand why the bass is starting to make a big leap. Bassist are now using different techniques to emulate an electric guitar, or even use effects from pedals to make the bass sound more “punchy” in a song.



3.What kind of bass do you use? Model , color , year , And why

I started playing Sterling by Music Man and Ibanez recently. I like how comfortable it feels. From the really thin neck, to the passive pickups for some of our rock and progressive songs that we have.
 

I am using three Bass guitars at the moment:

Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Satin Blue StingRay (on Drop D)

Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Black StingRay5 (Drop G)

And A Ibanez orange GSR205 5 String (Drop F#)



4.Tell us about your amplification

I use a Fender Rumble 100 1x12 100w Bass Combo Amp. It has a single channel with a 4-band EQ, Drive, overdrive level, master volume and 3 switches that I sometimes use (Bright switch, mid-scoop contour switch, and a vintage switch)



5. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?

Of course! Especially the direction Ignescent is going to. We are going into a new sound which is djent and progressive. So that is why I will be using a Dark Glass Alpha Omega Ultra Bass Preamp Pedal. It would give me the tone I would personally need, which is a clean overdrive.



6.Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?

I would have to say 5 strings. Like I said. We are going through a new era of djent and progressive rock and metal. Who knows, maybe a 6 string bass in the future hahaha





7.Who is your favorite bassist?

I would have to say Nikki Sixx. I grew up watching Motley Crue and actually dressed up as Nikki for Halloween one time. I love his energy and his passion.



8. Who is your least favorite bassist?

Hmmmm. That is really a tough one. To be honest, I cannot think of anyone at the moment.

  


9.Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?

I will be honest with you. It is not just women playing bass. I am seeing a lot more women playing drums, guitar, and even singing. It is really awesome to see women not being afraid of picking up an instrument and just going out there to rock. And that is why music brings us all together, men and women have the same emotions



10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?

Cliff Burton. It was such a shame he died at a young age. But he inspired so many with his fast finger-picking solo skills. From when he was in the band Trauma to Metallica….Wow. I would definitely take lessons with him.



11. Bonus question

Bobby Doll , Nikki Sixx , Les Claypool , Billy Sheehan  which is more ridiculous and why

You know I have to say Nikki Sixx. Not just his energy on stage, but off stage. You have heard the stories: The amount of drugs, Overdosing on Heroin, and being brought back to life by a paramedic who happened to be a big Motley Crue fan. But he used all of these mistakes to inspire others to not make the same mistakes that he has done.


https://www.facebook.com/ignescentmusic/


No comments:

Post a Comment