NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, December 26, 2019

VOKILLS SINGER INTERVIEW : EVIE CARPENTER / CIRCLE BURN



Please introduce yourself and tell us who you sing for.
Hey, I’m Evie and I sing for Circle Burn from Dallas, TX. We are electronic industrial, which we like to call “Dirty Electro Synth.”

What/Who made you want to sing?

I have several influences really. I grew up listening to my mom and dad sing, as they did theater and were in a band together. My mom was a singing waitress as well and did singing telegrams, so I heard music from musicals, classic rock, and more. Later, I loved female singers especially and loved Siouxsie Sioux, Blondie, Jade 4U, Fiona Apple, Shirley Manson, Beth Gibbons, Elizabeth Fraser, and Kelli Dayton.
  

Who was the first singer you saw live who gave you chills?

Three instances stand out: My second concert ever which was Garbage opening for Smashing Pumpkins. Seeing a female singer command an arena was very inspiring.
Elizabeth Fraser singing with Massive Attack at Coachella in 2006. Beautiful melodic vocals in key on a beautiful night. Finally, Mike Patton with Faith No More on tour with Napalm Death. Vocally, the pinnacle of experiences.

Many people say heavy music is just screaming. How would you combat that statement?

I have learned that there is so much vocal training involved and screaming an entire set will surely make your throat bleed. Vocal fry and projection is something that has to be constantly improved and worked on. Tune an instrument, train and warm up/cool down your voice.

If you growl or do harsh vocals, how do you keep your voice after such violent performances?

If you wake up with a raspy voice or are sick, try not to talk much the day of the show. Drink water before and hydrate. When all else fails, alcohol helps a little, but be aware of what you can do and don’t push it too much, so you don’t lose your voice completely.
After the set, drinking hot water with honey and lemon will soothe a shredded throat.

Do you have a warm up routine? Tell us about it.

I try to do vocal warm ups every day for 5 minutes with scales. Show day, I will warm up early and about 15 minutes before the set with breathing exercises.

Do you think power or performance is more important?

I think they’re both equally integral to the process. You can sound good and be boring or be a showman with shit vocals, but it’s not the best formula. I’m attempting to bring both each time as best as possible.

Who do you think gets unfair vocal praise, someone the world thinks is great, but is not? Who is great, but does not get the credit?

I can’t think of anyone specifically, but anyone who relies on autotune for their sound. Live performance is the great tell with that. 
As for great, I love the band ACTORS, and Jason Corbett and Shannon Hemmett are fantastic singers, but currently are underrated. They sound just as amazing live as they do on the album.

Name your Top 5 Vocalists.

Siouxsie Sioux,
Ohgr,
Jade 4U, 
Mike Patton,
Elizabeth Fraser.

 Michael Buble or Jim Gallette? 

Just testing your skills here..
I’d have to say Jim Gallette, as he has range and projection. Definite power there!

Who do you love to listen to that would surprise people?

I listen to hip hop, rap, old country, disco, and whatever song I wake up with stuck in my head. It’s mostly industrial, metal, gothic, electronic, but I like to hear variety, as it’s constantly inspiring me in writing style and cadence. 

If you could remove the autotune from any singer, who would it be?

Probably Vince Neil, as his live sound is VERY different than the album.
  
Thanks for having me for your interview! Please check out Circle Burn on all streaming sites, Youtube, and Facebook/Instagram/Twitter for show updates. Our debut album “Eigengrau” will be released on March 13th, 2020!
















No comments:

Post a Comment