NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

VOKILLS INTERVIEW : Ena Estrella (eee-nuh eh-stray-yuh) / Lost Sacrament.









 1.Please introduce yourself and tell us who you sing for: 


​My name is Ena Estrella (eee-nuh eh-stray-yuh) and I am the singer for Lost Sacrament.
 2.What / Who made you want to sing?


 ​I was born singing from conception to now. I have been singing for as long as I could make sound. I grew up around performers (my parents are/were Mariachis, my mother has since retired from the group, my father still performs, my brother is a guitarist/musician in LA, and my baby sister is an opera singer like I was at one point), and my job requires it daily. (Choir director at secondary schools) 

 3.Who was the first singer you saw live that gave you chills? ​


Whitney Houston singing the National Anthem at the '91 Super Bowl. (Saw on TV); and my mom sing "Amor Eterno"

4.Many people say heavy music is just screaming, How would you combat that statement?


 There's more to heavy metal than screaming vocals, and people would know that if they paid attention to actual singers in metal and recognized non-screamers more often.

5.If you growl or do harsh vocals how do you keep your voice after such violent performances? 


The few times I have done harsh vocals, I take all precautions, prep my body and throat for that technique. 

 6. Do you have a warm up routine? Tell u bout it ? 


​My warm up consists of vocal sirens, singing to my favorite tunes in the car, and light body stretches.

 7. Do you think power or performance is more important? ​


You need a balance of both to make a statement. 

8. Who do you think gets unfair vocal praise, someone the world thinks is great but is not? / And who is great but does not get the credit?


 ​Alot of growlers/screamers get vocal praise for being "heavy/brutal" in the metal genre. There are alot of clean singers who do not get alot of love because of the misconception that to sing in a metal band, you have to "scream/growl".  

 9.Name your top 5 vocalist:

 ​Tarja Turunen,
 Russel Allen,
 Devin Townsend,
 Tony Kakko,
 Floor Jansen

10.Micheal Buble or Jim Gillette? Just testing your skills here.


 ​Definately Jim G.! Vocal power! \m/ 

 11.Who do you love to listen to that would surprise people? 


​Old Arch Enemy or Pantera. There is an appreciation for growlers who know what they're doing and did it well. And Daft Punk. I'm a sucker for 80s 90s techno/dance music. 

 12. If you could remove the autotune from any singer who would it be?

 ​Alot of pop singers! But​ ​I would be curious to hear Eiffel 65 without their autotune (the guys behind "I'm Blue (Da Ba Dee)") 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment