NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

BATTERY DRUMMER INTERVIEW : Ivan Carsenzuola /BLACK PHANTOM

1.What is your name and what band do you play for?

Hi, my name is Ivan Carsenzuola and I’m playing drums for BLACK PHANTOM 


2.Who made you want to play drums and why?

All started by accident, at first I wanted to play guitar because my brother, 9 years older than me, was a guitarist in a hard rock cover band (Deep Purple, Van Halen …) but he actually didn’t teach me anything! I went a couple times to their rehearsals, and I just got amazed watching the drummer: one day I asked him a pair of drumstick and then started hitting on pillows and mattress!
3.When did you get your first kit? Tell us about it…

It's a long story, but making it short: my mother hated music (especially musicians!), so in order to be able to play something I joined the city marching band. Only later, thanks to a friend of mine who lent me the money, I secretly bought an used drum kit and kept it in the farmhouse where my friends and I rehearsed with our first band.

4.Where your parents supportive of you and your loud / expensive new habit?

As mentioned before, at the beginning they didn't support me at all! After several years I managed to build a soundproof box, with the help of my brother, right in my parents’ garden.

5.What drum performance on an album is perfection to you?

Mike Portnoy - Under a glass moon performed in the album XX SCORE
6.Tell us about your current kit and set up in DETAIL.
  

I love my drum kit, it consisting of 8 pieces and many cymbals, it’s a bubinga wood drum, precisely:
1 kick 22"x18"
1 main Maple snare 14 "x8" 
5 tom (8"x7" 10"x9" 12"x10" 14"x12" 16"x13")
1 secondary metal snare drum 12"x6"
1 custom pancake bass drum 18"x5"
the cymbals are:
1 crash 17”
2 crash 18"
1 crash 19"
1 ride 22"
1 main hihat 14" 
1 secondary hihat 13"
1 custom stack
1 custom BELL
2 splash 6" and 8" 
2 china 18" and 20" 
  

7.If you could have a dream kit tell us about it in DETAIL

Well, I think I already have my dream kit, but if I could expand it, I’d like to have a double kick kit 
8.Name your top 5 drummers excluding Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy
MM
  

mhhh!!! Why excluding Portnoy????  However, here are my other 5 favourite drummers: 
Mike Mangini, Simon Phillips, Todd Sucherman, Nicko McBrian, Pat Torpey… and I take the liberty to add some Italian ones too: Roberto Gualdi, Sergio Pescara e Federico Paulovich
9. Do you prefer Live or Studio?

Absolutely LIVE, considering that despite my more than twenty years behind the drums, the new  Black Phantom album "Zero Hour is Now" is actually the first one for me, so I definitely have to  add more studio experience.

10.Do drummers really get all the chicks and if so how do we convince the guitarist?
   

Honestly, the only girl who noticed me during a live was drunk, and she said: "Everybody, clap your hands for the drummer, who is never considered". Ahahahah!

No comments:

Post a Comment