NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, April 5, 2020

BATTERY DRUMMER INTERVIEW FOR THE GRINDER - Aaron - Torizon










1.What is your name and what band do you play for?

I’m Aaron, and I play in the band Torizon in Brisbane, Australia.


2.Who made you want to play drums and why?

I didn’t really have any practical knowledge of the instrument before a drum set fell into my lap, so it was really just a fluke.


3.When did you get your first kit? Tell us about it…
  

I was around 14 and my neighbour was moving interstate. They asked if we wanted a drum set and we said yes! It was a very beat up Brady set from sometime around 1980.


4.Where your parents supportive of you and your loud / expensive new habit?

They were! 


5.What drum performance on an album is perfection to you?

Gavin Harrison’s performance on Porcupine Tree’s “Anesthetize” is definitely on the list for me. Phil Rudd on “Back In Black” is equally perfect in a completely different kind of way.


6.Tell us about your current kit and set up in DETAIL

I’m playing a Gretsch Renown at the moment. They’re really beautiful, versatile drums. I’m only using two toms, one on the rack and one on the floor. My cymbals are mostly Zildjian K Custom Hybrids, those matte pies with the shiny business in the middle. I’ve also got one of those big 18” Zildjian Oriental China’s. All my hardware is Gibraltar and I’ve got DW 9000’s under my feet.

   

7.If you could have a dream kit tell us about it in DETAIL

Honestly there’s a company here in Queensland called Roulette Drums. They make incredible custom drum sets less than 50km from my house and I’m hoping to make an order in the near future! It would definitely be in a similar configuration as I have now, although I’d probably opt for some larger sizes. And wooden hoops!


8.Name your top 5 drummers excluding Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy

In no particular order…
  


Gavin Harrison

Mike Johnston

Tomas Haake

Nicko McBrain

And 66Samus!


9. Do you prefer Live or Studio?

Live of course!

  

10.Do drummers really get all the chicks and if so how do we convince the guitarist?

We do! We’re talking about McDonalds Chicken nuggets after rehearsal right?

No comments:

Post a Comment