NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, January 6, 2020

THE AXEMEN GUITAR INTERVIEW : The Jeff Carlson Band Guitarist Robbie Wolfe

1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

Robbie Wolfe: Jeff Carlson Band

2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar

I would have to say an early video of KISS with Ace.

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

Mostly self taught, though I did have a couple of lessons early on by a blues player.
.

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?

I used to be able to sight read music when I was younger. I am not a fan of Tab though I can read it, just not very proficient at it. I mostly play by ear.
.

5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?

I have been told that I have a very unique style. I hear melody more then shred. Even in Chord voicings I hear them as strings sections and over tones.
      



6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

I have several guitars. My main Guitar is a 1957 reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty.



7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

I play passive pick ups. I love the warmth of them. Most of my Les Pauls have PAFs but, my 3 pick up Black Les Paul Custom is loaded with Semore Duncans…..



8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc

My Go to Rig has generally been a modified Marshall 50 watt MK II.. A couple of years ago I started to A/B the Marshall with an Orange head as well. Currently I am running a powered Kemper Profiler. I still however run it through Marshall 4 x 12 1960 B Cabinets with 25 watt green back speakers. One of which is a 1973 cab with the original 25 watt green back speakers. Sounds very warm but extremely punchy!


9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

My Pedal Board is Kinda a funny story…In the past I ran direct with nothing but maybe a Crybaby Pedal. I was all about tone. There are certain things I always need on my pedal board like my Kemper controller and my cry baby. I also had to figure out a way to run my Theramin through my rig. This was definitely a challenge to figure out the best way to do it. But, I have tons of EFX pedals and at any given time my guitar tech Ric will decide I either need something else or he will remove a pedal. So I’m never quite sure what i’m gonna get anytime I open the case.… LOL …

10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..

Honestly, I have my dream rig and the best guitar techs who really understand what I need to make things work for what sounds we need.

11.What guitarist can you not stand?

Kurt Cobain

12. Is tone more important or is technique?

I love great guitar tones. Because in the bigger picture it’s about great songs, not a millions notes in a guitar solo.


13. Name your top 5 guitarist

Jimmy Page
Gary Moore
Michael Schenker
Ace Frehley
John Sykes

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist

Kurt Cobain

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

Jimmy Page

No comments:

Post a Comment