NIGHTMARE TOYS

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Motör Militia - Interview Q&A


1 1.Thanks for your time.


l   Tellus about your band and what you do for your band.

      Our band Motor Militia is based in Bahrain in the Middle east. It was established in 2001 and since then has had a few lineup changes until the current lineup which is the lineup that has released our new album in April 2018 called “World in Flames” . I am the lead singer of the band comprising of 5 members in total. And all kick ass musicians. We play full on thrash metal at a fast in your face pace.
2.      2.When did you decide you wanted to be in a band? 

      To be honest I had dreamed of been in a band since I can ever remember. As a child (approx. 5 years old) I used to get on top of the dog box with a stick in hand as my microphone and pretend there was a huge crowd in front of me and sing out parts of songs I could remember the words to from bands like AC?DC, Black Sabbath, Rose Tattoo (Aussie rock band), Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Led Zeplin etc. This is what I grew up on and was played regularly in our house by my parents. You could say hard rock and metal was in my blood from this point on.
    3. What is different about being a musician than you imagined?





      Well what I see as been different to what I imagined is that when you are in a band, promoting your music and landing them gigs and trying to negotiate your way through the minefields of the industry is sometimes very difficult. But the bond in a band, the creating music, the excitement of been on a stage and entertaining a crowd supersedes what I imagined.

4.      4.What gear do you use and why? 

       The microphone of choice for me and has been for many years is Shure SM58 wired Mic. I think these mics are an industry standard to be honest. Tried tested and true. Just recently I bought a K&M mic stand and I am extremely happy with it. Robust sturdy, made to last. And that is an important factor for me as I can get crazy on stage lol. And my newest purchase is a set of Ultimate Ears version 7 with a wireless Shure PSM receiver and unit. I haven’t had the chance to use these live yet. But the reason I guess is hearing preservation and more clarity of sound on stage. So let’s see. But I have used in practice and so far the purchase was well worth it.
5.     5.What music do you listen to that would surprise people?

         Well having a 12 year old daughter I regularly am listening to things like Adel, top 40 music etc. My daughter Bella is currently in signing lessons herself and doing really well. One time she asked me if I would perform with her at the next live concert for her music school. I agreed. Next thing you know I am performing a duet with her signing Hello from Adel. That would surprise some people. But very proud Dad and Daughter moment.

6.       6. How do we find your music and merch to buy?

        Well you can find our CD,s at Bandcamp, Itunes, CDBaby and most of the streaming type locations. For Merchandise get on to Band camp and it’s all located there with signed CD,s and shirts.

     7. How did you get a record deal?    Or do you want a record deal or are you DIY?



7.       Well at this point we are independent. However if the right offer came along for a record deal Motör Militia would most definitely look at these opportunities. After all they are the experts I the industry and could take our music much further than we could.

      8.What bands do people compare your music to?

8.       Well we have been compared to a few bands from time to time. Mostly Kreator, testament, Slayer etc. But within the members we have also been likened to different performers. For instance I have been told I am very much like Phil Anselmno. I don’t mind that really. He was the reason that I wanted to perform this genre of music and I love his style in his early days. It’s cool to be scored against an international band. Although we are our own sound it tells you that you’re on the right path.
9.    9. Are you pro Spotify / streaming services ? Or do you think it hurts sales? 

     I don’t really have an opinion on this to be honest. Natural progression of World Wide Webb with Apple Itunes when it started was always going to happen. More options, better business opportunities etc. pushed it this way. Sure it hurts the bottom line of band income a bit but in another way it helps with exposure and potential sales at gigs, tours, merch, etc. 

     10. What’s the ultimate goal for the band?

       Motör Militias ultimate goal is to keep playing live shows, get into other countries and gig/tour and to see how far we can take it. We are working very hard towards this. And above all have a shit load of fun along the way, giving the crowd our best on stage.

    11. Will we see you tour?

1       Well we are certainly very actively looking around to try and land a tour with a booking/management company that suits there and our needs. But yes that is the goal for us.

    12Who would you love to tour with?

          Hmmmmmm for me it would of definitely been Pantera. I love there have fun don’t give a shit attitude. And loooove there music. However since the sad days of losing Dimebag and Vinnie that would not be possible any more. So I would have to say Slayer. But I had better be quick lol. And the other band I really dig is Nervecell from this part of the woods. They are a kick ass band that I would definitely tour with if given the opportunity.

    13.What is your favorite song of yours and why?

       My god!!!!! Which one do I choose??? I would have to say my favorite song would be Domination. I love the structure of that song, the power, the energy and finally after you have smashed it out all over the place the last section is like you become possessed. That chugging riff is one of my all-time favorite riffs! Its giving me goose bumps just thinking about it lol.




      14. Why should people take the time to listen to your band over the thousands of  others
     Well for us it’s not about trying to punch through the list of thousands. We believe that we have created a very powerful thrash metal album which is very fast, in your face and explosive. It is very tight and we are very proud of this album and want the world to take the time out and have a listen. Just check our website out and see the feedback we have had on our reviews. To be honest this is the feedback we have received from pretty much everyone who has got their hands on our album or bee to one of our live shows. And I guess that speaks volumes. So yeah why would someone listen to our album over others? Read the reviews and feedback we get I guess and grab a copy and be your own judge. I can promise you that “World in Flames” will definitely be in your regular play list.

   15.What are your favorite music websites labels podcast etc?

          Well I am an Australian so Cameron Crimson does a great segment on RTR FM in Perth called Critical Mass and has been on this for years. Very supportive of bands from where ever they are from and plays a lot of up and coming bands. Great show if you want to tune in and take a listen. Metal-O-Mania is also a rip tearing show played live weekly. The Crypt and Skully are legends. Rock Rage Radio is also an awesome show. Love their music there. I could go on forever here as we have had so much support from podcasts, stations etc. and you guys know who you are. And right now I’m going to send out a huge thank you for your awesome support.

i 16. Is imagery important to you? Do you judge albums by the cover?

         Well this question I could take in 2 ways. Imagery. First way – Imagery of our music is very important to us. As a band we very much pride ourselves on our sound, technical ability and finished product of a song above anything. Second way - Imagery of us as a band is also important I think. If you look like shit then probably you won’t get as much attention as some bands looking the part. However we are a thrash band so we are who we are on stage with no bells and whistles except for the intense energy we play at. And to be honest an album cover I think is also important. But never have I judged the music before I listen to it first just because of an album cover. You never know what sub-genre you are going to get these days.

 17.If you could choose a cover song your band mates would hate what would it be?

   Enter Sandman lol. They are not too keen on it. Over played, over commercialized and that is not what we are about.
 18.Is the record or live show more important?

   Well they are both as important as each other I think. You need to play live to show case your material and as an artist or band you need to get your artistic flavor down on an album to showcase that as well. They go hand in hand I think.

  19.Name 3 people dead or alive you would want to play your music for.

       First person My Daughter – Been 12 Bella has never been able to see her Dad perform live due to the age restrictions of pubs, clubs etc. I hope soon that we can play an open air concert where she can attend and after Motör Militia set I can show her the ropes of a metal festival lol. 2. Phil Anselmno – This guy regardless of the bullshit that surrounds him sometimes has been a true inspiration to my vocals and stage presence. I still watch Moscow monsters of rock 91 and it amps me up something fierce. That is a dream of mine to play in front of a crown that size!!!! And 3. My brother who is no longer here. Before he took his own life 5 years ago we used to jam a bit from time to time. He was a drummer for years just in his shed and was always a supporter of bands I was in over the years in Australia. And to have him back bouncing around in the crowd would be great. And I would get to have another beer with him!!!!! 

   20. Lemmy Ozzy Dio and Rob Halford in a cage match who wins?

Lemmy hands down because Ozzy would still be trying to find the cage, Dio is not built for the cage and Halford well I think it would be close but Lemmy's bad ass attitude would edge him out ha ha ha ha. What a great question!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment