NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, August 23, 2018

GRASS GIANT? OHHHHHHHHH NOW I GET IT/ THE GRINDER FREE INTERVIEW SERIES

1. Tell us about your band and what do you do for your band.
My name is Corey, I do vocals and play guitar for my band Grass Giant. We are a 3 piece Psych-Rock/Doom Metal concept band. We've created a soon to be released EP telling the story of a world made of Cannabis and it's inhabitants. 


2. When did you decide you wanted to be in a band? 
I think it's like 90% of kids dreams at one point to be in a band but in my early teens my best friend got me into playing guitar and we would always try to start a band but in a small southern town the few musicians there were didn't listen to what we did.  


3. What is different about being a musician than you imagined?
That anyone can do it. As life wears you down you lose that teenage optimism so I waited until my late 20s thinking that I wasn't ready or good enough. I found out that I was very wrong so if you're reading this and you aren't sure just throw yourself out there and do it man. 


4. What gear do you use and why?
I'm cheap, we all love to scour pawn shops and look for deals so the majority of what I use is a little banged up but it adds character. I'll run an Epiphone 335 into a Sunn O))) Beta Bass 2x15 and a Crate Blue DooDoo half stack on the clean channels then slam them with fuzz pedals. 


5. What music do you listen to that would surprise people?
I don't know if it would surprise people but I like a lot of old funk and soul. I'm not super well versed in it but a Buddy Miles record I inherited is probably one of my favorite vinyl’s that I have. 


6. How do we find your music and merch to buy? 
We are wrapping up production on our debut EP but are looking at a late fall or winter release. Until then I would say our facebook page facebook.com/GrassGiantBand or instagram @GrassGiantBand are the best ways to keep up to date with us. We have live footage and even previews of some of our tracks posted so you can see what we are about. 
7. How did you get a record deal? Or do you want a record deal or are you DIY?
We are DIY as the sky. We write and perform because we love to. That being said we realize that if a record deal came a long that allows us to continue to do so and it made sense we would consider it.


8. What bands do people compare your music to?
We were recently compared to Neurosis. I don't know if it's the most accurate assessment but it sure felt nice to hear. 


9. Are you pro Spotify / streaming services? Or do you think it hurts sales?
Everyone wants to sell records, we are no exception but we are definitely open to streaming services. Times are changing and I want to be as forward thinking and adaptable as we can be. I don't want to be the band left behind because they couldn't find a way to make it work for them. 


10. What's the ultimate goal for the band?
To have a lot of fun and write a lot of music. I think we would all love to be able to be strictly full time musicians but as long as we are having fun and people are grooving to our tunes that's all that matters. 


11. Will we see you tour?
I'm sure one day. It's just figuring out logistics and transportation. We do currently play out of state for a weekend but have yet to do a full tour. 


12. Who would you love to tour with?
Outside of the dream tours with Sleep and Electric Wizard I would be down for some tours with Horned Wolf, We The Undead, Carcinogen Daily, and In'ere. A bunch of fantastic guys and they are all putting out music I enjoy listening to. 


13. What is your favorite song of yours and why? 
Probably Stonege it's the opening track and it kind of sets the mood and lore for the rest of the EP. It's a pretty dynamic song that goes from a psych rock, almost meditative intro to groovy metal passages, a weird breakdown, and crazy peaks and valleys.


14. Why should people take the time to listen to your band over thousands of other bands?
The world is sick and in need of saving. We cannot save it but we can offer an escape from the evils of the world, an escape from formulaic radio rock, and a pretty cool soundtrack to smoke to.


15. What are your favorite music websites labels podcast ect?
I'm a podcast guy, I would say the ones I listen to the most are The Peer Pleasure Podcast, and the Doom Tomb Podcast. Both hosts are down to earth and tend to interview the types of bands I prefer. 


16. Is imagery important to you? Do you judge albums by the cover?
Absolutely, I grew up right at the end of the CD era so they were my vinyl. I would love looking at the little booklets with lyrics and notes. When digital started taking over I got into vinyl because after it's gone you miss having something tangible to hold. 


17. If you could choose a cover song your band mates would hate what would it be? 
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For a Hero
I don't know how it would happen or what it would sound like but that's the one. 


18. Is the record or live show more important?
Just from my perspective the live show is where it's at. Being able to go play and see the reaction and connection with people is more rewarding than seeing a notification that someone purchased you music.  But we need both of course. 


19. Name 3 people dead or alive you would want to play your music for?
Matt Pike, because it's Matt Pike.
Jack White, because it's Jack White 
And probably whoever the talent scout is for Southern Lord Recordings 


20. Lemmy, Ozzy, Dio, and Rob Halford in a cage match. Who wins? 
They are all gods but I have to go with Lemmy.


No comments:

Post a Comment