NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Interview with SIMA

Metal Coffee Interview answers:

1. Please tell us about the history of your band and its members. 

SIMA: SIMA is a solo project. It’s always been my dream to be an artist. At an early age, I instinctively knew that my innate music abilities were incredible gifts that I should embrace and pursue. I grow up in a small town in Israel called Lod. Lod is a small, poor Israeli city where Arabs and mainly Jewish immigrants from Arab countries live side-by-side. It's a place with many socioeconomic problems, violence, and crime and drug-dealers. Growing up in Lod forced me to dream even bigger, be creative, and thrive to have a better life. It made me stronger, determined, and gave me the courage to never give up on my dreams. 
My sister had a big part in my love for rock music. My sister and I shared a room, so I was forced to listen to the rock and metal that she listened to, which in retrospect, I’m grateful for. She introduced me to amazing records and bands like Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Nirvana, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, The Doors and many more. She also took me to my first rock concert to see Deep Purple when I was 11. Growing up I had a friend whose parents were artists, painters, sculptors, and educators.  I loved spending time in their home. I was exposed to poetry, art, classical music, jazz and classic rock. My friend was a very talented guitar player, so we spent a lot of time together singing and playing music. He also introduced me to some incredible rock bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Sting, The Cure and many more great artists. 

I started writing poetry and journaling about my experiences growing up at the age. But my real songwriting developed when I left Israel and moved to NYC to fulfill my artistic dreams, my life’s mission, to find freedom and a better future. 
For the next few years, I focused all of my time and energy on songwriting and developing a solid singing style, drawing inspiration from a variety music artists and bands.  I put together my first band in NYC and we played live everywhere in the rock music scene.  Then later moved to Miami to record my first single ‘Breaking Down The Walls’. Then moved to LA to complete the record and take things to the next level.

2. What’s the origin of the band’s name?

SIMA: The name SIMA is my original name. It means treasure, as well as the top of the mountain.  On one of my singles ‘Suffering Is My Addiction’, I played with hiding my name within the title of the song, which most people don’t know that fact

3. Where is the band based out of and what is your music scene like there? Are there any local bands you could recommend? 

SIMA: I’m based in Los Angeles. It’s always going to be a great place for music, but it’s definitely not what it used to be. Most clubs on Sunset Strip are a pay-to-play type situation. You really need to tour outside of LA to build a solid fan-base. There are a lot of great musicians and bands in L.A like, my good friend Evan Rodaniche's band Cage 9.

4. How would you describe your style?

SIMA: I describe my music as rock/pop with a mix of electronic influences. Piano and synths, live drums and sometime electronic drums, bass, driving rock guitars, intense and powerful vocals coupled with poignant and honest lyrics. As well, on my new music, I’m exploring some of my Middle Eastern roots with instruments like the Oud, as well as singing in Hebrew for the first time in years. 

5. What have you released so far and what can someone expect from your works? 

 SIMA:  I released my first record ‘This Is Truth’ in 2012. I worked on it for a few years when I was living in NYC and in Miami. This record started my career. It represented my past, accepting myself for who I am, facing my fears, hardships, and the times that I felt disconnected and alone. It was a glimpse of where I was heading musically and creatively. Completing the record wasn’t an easy thing, as I lost a lot through the process of making it, but it was the most significant piece of work and a major healing process. I completed the last song for the record 'This Is My Truth' when I moved to L.A. I put together a new band and I was ready to start a new life all over again and grow even more as an artist. ‘This Is My Truth’, the single, was the first song that I ever wrote completely on my own. It represented taking my power back as a woman, taking ownership on my career, my talent, my life and knowing that no matter who I work with, or whoever comes into my life, that, my talent and my visions are mine, giving to me by God for a reason. It was like things came full circle. 
The first single I released off the record was 'Breaking Down The Walls', a powerful and inspiring rock song with a message of hope. It was mixed by the Three-time Grammy Award-winning producer/engineer, Tom Lord-Alge (U2, Peter Gabriel, Sarah McLachlan, Dave Matthews, Oasis) and it was mastered by Ted Jensen of Sterling Sound Studios in NYC, also a Grammy Award-winner, who has been producing for major labels, mastering, engineering, and mixing hundreds of albums for major pop and rock music artists (The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Madonna, Eric Clapton, Muse).

In 2014 I released ‘Beautiful Liar’ which features some of my most ambitious and textured work. It’s very diverse. From emotionally charged ballads like ‘Set It On Fire’ to up-tempo rockers like ‘Alone With You’. I took a big step forward in both songwriting and production. I wrote the lyrics and melodies for all the songs on that EP and co-produced it. It was an empowering experience and allowed me to overcome my insecurities by once again shading more layers of my old self, my past, pain and heartbreaks and realizing what I wanted to create in my life. 
People should expect from my work to be raw, honest, intimate, fierce, a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings, relatable and rocking. I want people to get a sense of who SIMA is through my music. Someone who is raw and vulnerable and at the same time, has in your face attitude with an intense rock/pop sound with a mix of electronic influences with driving guitars, drums and intense, powerful vocals and beautiful melodies.

6. Do you have any new music in the works? 

SIMA: Yes I do.  I’m working on a new record. Eight songs are completed. I recently released the first single, 'Head Over Heels'. I’m testing the water first with the song. I’m also working on a peace documentary/music project called ‘Broken Wings’. I wrote two of the film's soundtracks ‘Broken Wings’ and ‘Devotion’. ‘Broken Wings’ features Kobi Farhi from the Israeli metal band ‘Orphaned Land’ and the Palestinian musician Naser Musa.

7. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out? 

SIMA: I’m currently focusing on completing the record and my documentary ‘Broken Wings’.  I’m definitely looking forward to starting touring and sharing my new music and my peace documentary with the world.

8. What plans do you have for the future as a band? 

SIMA: My future plans are to complete and release my new record and take it on the road and play some major festivals and to grow and my fan base around the country and the world. Keep growing as an artist and a human being and accomplish all my creative goals. Release my peace documentary ‘Broken Wings’ and create a positive awareness, change and healing through my music and everything that I do. 

Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff?

SIMA: You can listen to my music and buy my stuff on my official music website www.simamusic.com and on every major digital streaming and downloads services. People can also stay in touch and get connected on social media.
Www.facebook.com/Simamusicofficial
Www.instagram.com/SimaGalanti 
Www.twitter.com/SimaGalanti
Www.soundcloud.com/SimaGalanti
Www.youtube.com/SimaGalanti
Spotify : https://tinyurl.com/y7t8fz2s


What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?
SIMA: I would like the listeners to have an experience and be able to relate my music to different times in their lives when they where going through similar stuff. I aspire to provide strength, inspiration, encouragement, empowerment and drive through my music a through my lyrics. I want to remind people that they’re not alone. I want people to have fun, rock out and open their hearts and feel that it’s ok to do so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment