NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, September 13, 2018

THE OUTSIDER INTERVIEW IST KRIEG

1.Thanks for your time. Tell us about your band and what you do for your band. 

Thanks for the opportunity, well I do pretty much everything for my project, musically speaking I write everything, from riffs to the orchestral arrangements, all the parts of all the instruments and the production of each song
I also write all the lyrics and craft the concept of the project, as well as recording everything on the studio, excepting the guest appearances of course.


2.When did you decide you wanted to be in a band? 

I took the decision of doing my own project almost three years ago, I have been writing songs for many time and I decided it was high time to put them on a record. About being in a band specifically, I always wanted to do so,
I actually played with some friends time ago but it didn't work.

3. What is different about being a musician than you imagined? 

Probably everything about not being a musician while being a musician, things about marketing, promotion, social media and the process of releasing music the best way, as a musician sometimes you don't really care about those things
until you need to care, I had a very vague idea of how it works, but never knew until I had to dive into it, I personally think you should keep in mind you have to learn about those things if you are in a DIY band or project.

4.What gear do you use and why? 

I'm not a gear geek, and since I don't play live I have enough with just my Ibanez bass and guitars, some basic pedals and a good computer for recording and producing.

5. What music do you listen to that would surprise people?

I'm getting into jazzy, progressive, avantgarde and experimental stuff, but I don't know if it would actually surprise anyone in my fanbase, since I have always said that I'm always looking for different thing to listen to.

6. How do we find your music and merch to buy? 

Physically you can find my music on my Bandcamp page http://bit.ly/2HyAA8h
Digitally you can find it on Spotify https://spoti.fi/2xU2UAE
And also other platforms like iTunes, Youtube or Google music

7. How did you get a record deal? Or do you want a record deal or are you DIY? 
I'd really like to get a record deal actually, but one that gives me freedom on keep doing the music I am doing, I know it is hard to get and even if it doesnt happens I'd keep carrying on with my project on my own.


8. What bands do people compare your music to? 

Usually Therion due the fact I have two of the members as guest singers, sometimes to Septicflesh, Carach Angren and even Melechesh, being honest I don't get comparation comments quite often, my goal is to give my project a unique sound,
of course where influences can be noticed, but never a copycat or something, I guess I am doing it right.


9. Are you pro Spotify / streaming services ? Or do you think it hurts sales? 

I have mixed feelings about that, in one hand it definitely changed the industry and many of those changes were for bad, it kind of "killed" the industry in some ways, and in the other hand it made possible for many bands and musicians to share our art
with the world and make it reach many different places, but talking about money you get way less money from streaming than from selling Cd's, specially if you are quite unknown in the scene. But also you can take advantage of streaming services if you know
how to use them, in the bad news now everyone releases music and you have to work harder to stand out, but then you can get new skills on marketing and promoting. As you can see both sides of the coin are important and I could talk about that for hours,
in my opinion the best we can do now is to adapt and improve, learn and work harder, because those time where buying Cd's was the best way to listen to new music are probably not coming back.

10. What’s the ultimate goal for the band? 

Success! in all possible ways!

11. Will we see you tour? 

Not soon, my priority is to spread my music and make my fanbase grow before embarking on a tour. It will happen but not in the near future.

12. Who would you love to tour with? 

I am not into getting obsessed with those subjects, like I would die to tour with some band specifically, as long as it is a good experience I am okay with that. If I have to answer I would say Therion, because they are my friends
and we have great times when we are together.

13.What is your favorite song of yours and why? 

Honestly I can not chose just one, I listen to a lot of bands and many of them inspire me in many ways, so it is hard to choose just one, sorry

14. Why should people take the time to listen to your band over the thousands of other bands? 

Because I am trying to say something different, musically and even lyrically, I don't want to come up with a copy of a copy, or a remake o something already done, I am trying to show something different, maybe I haven't reach the goal
with the releases I have out by now, but I am working on that. So if people are tired of listening to generic bands, they can give them a try to mine, I am not saying it is better or worse, but it is different.

15.What are your favorite music websites labels podcast etc? 
Honestly I am not really into podcast, maybe I should give more a try.

16. Is imagery important to you? Do you judge albums by the cover? 
It is of course, not the most important but if you have awesome music, a well produced imagery and releases covers make the experience better. It is about complementing your music the best way possible. I don't personally judge
albums by the covers, but it is great when musicians take care of those details 

17.If you could choose a cover song your band mates would hate what would it be? 
No bandmates, no need to choose anything.

18.Is the record or live show more important? 
Well produced and recorded music is extremely important, but if you offer nothing more than that in a live show, not many people would be interested in seeing you live again; I'd say it is actually more important if you want to keep people
attending to you shows to expect something different.

19. Name 3 people dead or alive you would want to play your music for. 

H.P. Lovecraft would be probably the only one I am interested in showing my music to, even if he hates it for whatever reason.

20. Lemmy Ozzy Dio and Rob Halford in a cage match who wins? 
I guess Lemmy.



No comments:

Post a Comment