1. My name is Brian Duke, I’m a NYC based freelance drummer. I play for various artists including Dead Superstar, Fiona Silver, Pan Arcadia and Kyle Duke and the Brown Bag Boys just to name a few.
2. I ended up learning drums in elementary school through the school’s music program. I chose drums because I knocked one of my teeth out while wrestling with my brother. I couldn’t sing and I couldn’t play a wind instrument, I had already played cello for a year and didn’t want to do that again, so that left drums!
3. I got my first kit in 5th grade. It was a black groove percussion kit that my parents surprised me with one day after school, I loved it!
4. My parents have always been very supportive of my drumming career and helped me every step of the way where ever they could.
5. I really love Bonham’s performance on “How the West was Won.” Zeppelin was really tight during the time of that recording and the drumming is fantastic.
6. Right now I have 2 RCI kits and 6 vintage Ludwig kits. The RCI kits are red acrylic and are 12/16/24 and 14/18/26 with a matching 5.5x14 snare. These are endorsement kits that were made for me before one of my first US tours in 2014. Most of the Ludwig kits are 13/16/22 but there are also a couple 20” kicks and a kit with 12” and 14” toms. I’ve been getting really into buying and selling vintage drums over the past year so my personal collection has grown as a result.
7. I already have a couple of my dream kits, a 1970 Ludwig super classic in a worn thermogloss finish and a 1956 WFL (pre-Ludwig) super classic in a beautiful “aqua” sparkle. I would love to pick up an old Gretsch kit at some point, but I’m pretty happy with my collection right now.
8. Top 5 drummers for me would be John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Michael Miley, Mitch Mitchell and Steve Gadd.
9. Depending on what mood I’m in I go back and forth between preferring live shows vs session work. I’m craving life performances at the moment since I’ve been cooped up for so long.